Move over pancakes!
These Ignite Phase-friendly Banana Quinoa Pancakes are comfort food at its finest. Packed full of high quality whole foods and fragrant spices, this nutritious breakfast will satisfy your sweet tooth while keeping your blood sugar in check.
Make quinoa in bulk for the week and store it the fridge so you can quickly use it in recipes like this one. Because of the density of the quinoa, these cakes cook best low and slow in a high quality, non-stick pan.
Banana Quinoa Pancakes with Berry Syrup
Ignite Phase Approved / Thrive Phase Approved
These pancakes are delicious with or without the syrup and can be stored in the fridge in an airtight container for 3 to 4 days. You can also double the recipe for a family style breakfast.
Makes: 4 servings
Serving size: 2 pancakes (4” each ) plus approximately ¼ cup berry syrup
Calories per serving: 166
Protein per serving: 5.5 grams
Fat per serving: 5.5 grams
Carbohydrates per serving: 23 grams
For the Banana Quinoa Pancakes:
- 1 ½ small, very ripe bananas
- 1 extra-large whole egg
- 2 extra-large egg whites
- ¾ cup cooked quinoa
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened almond milk
- 2 teaspoons unrefined coconut oil
- 1 ½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ heaping teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 good size dashes of nutmeg
- Fat free cooking spray
For the Berry Syrup:
- 1 ½ cups frozen mixed berries (all natural, no sugar added)
- ½ tablespoon unrefined coconut oil
- A few drops of pure vanilla extract
- ½ to 1 packet Stevia (depending on desired sweetness)
Method of Preparation:
- Puree all of the ingredients for the Banana Quinoa Pancakes in a blender for 4 minutes.
- In the meantime, heat a large, non-stick frying pan over medium heat for the quinoa cakes. Coat with fat free cooking spray. For the syrup: Heat a separate small frying pan over low heat and add all ingredients except for the Stevia. Stir syrup occasionally.
- Once large frying pan is hot, add ¼ cup of pancake mix per cake (make 4 at a time) and cook for approximately 4 to 5 minutes for the first side. The key is to cook low and slow! Once the pancake edges get firm, gently flip and cook for another 3 to 4 minutes, lowering the heat if necessary. Remove cooked pancakes and keep warm.
- Right before serving, sweeten syrup with Stevia. Serve Banana Quinoa Pancakes with Berry Syrup. Enjoy!
What is the nutritional balance?
This recipe has a great balance of carbohydrates and fat plus some protein. We recommend that you add additional lean protein on the side such as egg whites or protein powder.
Tasty food is how you prevent boredom, which is exactly why there are:
- 50 Detox, Ignite and Thrive Phase Recipes in the book that fall into two groups:
- Grab n’ Go – 10 minutes or less
- Gourmet Style – 30 minutes or less