It’s Filet Time!
Quality lean beef is a fantastic protein source for your body. Since even lean beef has some extra fat, this Ignite & Thrive phase recipe, which is featured in our best selling book, Why Kids Make You Fat and How To Get Your Body Back, focuses on only using lighter carbs like lettuce and pineapple. This combination of protein, fat and carbs keeps your blood sugar balanced and gives you a powerful burst of flavor in your mouth!
Fillet Lettuce Wraps with Grilled Pineapple Salsa
Ignite Phase Approved / Thrive Phase Approved
Lean beef is rubbed with pungent spices, grilled to perfection, and served in a lettuce wrap with smoky pineapple salsa in this family- style dish.
Makes: 5 servings
Serving size: 1 wrap plus salsa
Calories per serving: 206
Protein per serving: 25 grams
Fat per serving: 8 grams
Carbohydrates per serving: 12 grams
For the Wraps:
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon coriander
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- ½ tablespoon paprika
- ½ tablespoon chili powder (no salt added)
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (plus extra for pineapple)
- 1 pound lean beef tenderloins
- Lettuce leaves (Boston bibb works great or choose your favorite lettuce)
For the Salsa:
- 6 ounces fresh pineapple, cored and sliced in rings
- Cayenne pepper (optional)
- 4 ounces vine tomatoes, chopped
- 2 ounces red onion, chopped
- 3 ounces sweet peppers, chopped
- 1 jalapeño, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint
- ½ cup fresh lime juice
Method of Preparation:
- Combine spices for the wraps in a bowl and rub on fillet. Grill to desired doneness.
- While steak is on the grill, prepare pineapple rings for the salsa. If desired, sprinkle pineapple rings with cayenne pepper for added heat and grill on both sides.
- Add grilled pineapple, tomatoes, onions, peppers, jalapeños, mint, and lime juice to a large bowl and stir to combine.
- Slice the steak, put in the lettuce leaves and top with pineapple salsa.
What is the nutritional balance?
This recipe has a great balance of protein, carbohydrates and fat.
Tasty food is how you prevent boredom, which is exactly why there are:
- 50 Detox, Ignite and Thrive Phase Recipes in the book that fall into two groups:
- Grab n’ Go – 10 minutes or less
- Gourmet Style – 30 minutes or less