Being busy and on the run means you sometimes need a protein bar to keep your blood sugar balanced and on plan. It’s not easy to figure out what bar is best for you and will move you forward to achieving your goals in the best way. So here are a few of my favorite recommendations to help you stay on plan and a litmus test to choosing a protein bar.
Just know that Protein bars are more processed than protein powder, so bars are really just for emergencies. Avoid them during your Detox phase and ideally limit yourself to just one bar per day during your Ignite and Thrive phases as well as your Body Confidence plan.
Here’s your litmus test for choosing a protein bar. Each bar has different flavors; so choose the flavor you prefer.
Protein Bar Litmus Test
- The protein in the bar needs to be within a five-gram range of the total carbs. For example, if the food label shows twenty grams of carbohydrates, you can eat a bar that has anywhere between fifteen and twenty-five grams of protein. Staying within this five-gram range ensures the bar will be correctly balanced. If the bar has more than five grams more carbs than protein, do not eat it; it will most likely spike your blood sugar.
- The protein source needs to be either whey (hydrolyzed, isolate, or concentrate), micellar casein, egg white or plant based and must not contain soy protein. It can have trace amounts of soy in the form of soy lecithin, which has very little soy and is a binder in most protein.
- The bar needs to be gluten-free.
- The bar needs to be low in sugar, preferably high in fiber, and use a natural sweetener (like stevia). Some good quality bars use small amounts of sucralose (fake sugar). If sucralose causes you to experience digestive challenges, avoid it.
Recommended brands of protein bars that pass this litmus test are:
- Power Crunch: made by BNRG, preferably choose gluten-free options
- Quest: made by Quest, gluten-free
- Rise: made by Rise – Plant Based
Feel free to experiment with other bars that past the litmus test, the key is to find the bars that work best for your taste buds and digestive system!
Facebook Live is Now Here
I’m excited to share that I can now stream live from Facebook and share real time cutting edge nutrition and fitness strategies with you. I’ll be streaming 2-3 times per week to help maximize your results and make 2016 your best year of health!
Subscribe to my Facebook feed now to get immediate alerts when I’m live:
Ready to take your body to the next level in 2016 and live your best health?
Get started with the right Venice Nutrition plan for you:
Make Your 8 Week Run & Thrive
Your 8-Week Plan to Lose Your Bloat, Melt Your Belly and Drop Up to 30 pounds! If you’re busy and ready to take action, permanently lose weight and fed up with the frustration of dieting then this plan is perfect for you. LEARN MORE >
Live Your Body Confidence Plan & Get Customized Meal Plans
Whether you want to lose your last 10-20 pounds, increase lean muscle or take your results to the next level, this path is designed for you. It’s the prefect next step after you make your 8 Week Run and enter your Thrive Phase. You’ll enhance your education, evolve your plan and get the tools to truly make your plan a way of life forever. Based on NY Times Best Seller, Body Confidence. LEARN MORE >