Summer is here and with it comes a desire for more vacation-inspired foods. And what’s the best vacation food? You guessed it – Pizza! Well, at least to me it is :)! Here’s my all-time favorite recipe, Barbecued Chicken Flatbread Pizza. This Thrive phase approved recipe is exclusive to our new best selling book, Why Kids Make You Fat …and How To Get Your Body Back and was made by super Venice Nutrition Chef, Valerie Cogswell.
Barbecue Chicken Flatbread Pizza
Thrive Phase Approved
Grab ‘n’ Go
Sometimes nothing but pizza will do! This easy, flavorful pizza has a delicious balance of protein, carbohydrates, and fat to help you burn fat, build muscle, and feel your best. Cook chicken breast in bulk for the week for quick grab ’n’ go meals like this one. Kids will love this recipe too.
Makes: 1 small pizza
Serving size: 1 small pizza
Calories per serving: 280
Protein per serving: 23 grams
Fat per serving: 11 grams
Carbohydrates per serving: 15.5 grams
- 1 low-carbohydrate, 8” whole wheat or gluten-free tortilla
- Fat-free cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons all-natural tomato sauce
- ⅓ cup reduced fat (not low-fat) sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 2½ ounces cooked boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into small chunks or shredded
- 1 tablespoon organic all-natural barbecue sauce
- Onion, thinly sliced (optional)
- Bell pepper, thinly sliced (optional)
Method of Preparation:
- Preheat oven to 450˚F.
- Place tortilla on a cookie sheet and spray the tortilla lightly with fat-free cooking spray.
- Spread tomato sauce on top.
- Sprinkle half of the cheese on top of sauce.
- In a small bowl, combine the chicken and barbecue sauce, and then layer on top of cheese.
- Sprinkle onions, peppers, and remaining cheese on top of pizza.
- Cook for 8–10 minutes, or until crust is crisp and cheese is melted.
- Allow to cool slightly, cut into quarters, and enjoy!
What is the nutritional balance?
This recipe has a great balance of protein, carbohydrates and fat.
Tasty food is how you prevent boredom, which is exactly why there are:
- 50 Detox, Ignite and Thrive Phase Recipes in the book that fall into two groups:
- Grab n’ Go – 10 minutes or less
- Gourmet Style – 30 minutes or less